<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, March 22, 2004

"... it is good that you grasp one thing and also not let go of the other; for the one who fears God comes forth with both of them..." eccl 7:18

i was having a discussion with a friend today that made me think of this verse. oh, how presuppositions inevitably color our interpretation. the part of the verse i focused on was the idea of "grasping one thing and also not letting go of the other..." the part that my friend emphasized was "the one who fears God comes forth with both of them."

the verse came to mind today during the discussion of presuppositions... and it also made me think of a prior conversation i had with a friend with whom i've served with in the college ministry this past weekend. i thought him to be ultra-conservative and assumed that he would entirely dismiss and depricate the ideas of postmodernism, but instead, he saw that there are positive benefits of it in the practical application of the hermeneutics of humility. the thing that was refreshing was that he is totally orthodox -- sometimes to a point where i seem him as intolerant. but the conversation proved him to be mature beyond his years (and mature beyond my preconcieved ideas of him based on my previous interactions with him).

then this morning's conversation caused me to think how important it is to hold ideas in tension, but my friends focus on the part of the verse about the fear of God really made me see things differently. how often have i desired to pursue wisdom and understanding apart from the fear of the Lord? sunday's message about living for the glory of God was such a pointed reminder to me that i cannot forget the end for which i live. the means is definitely something that cannot be neglected -- after all, there are many verses about God's judgements that is based on our actions. but what are "actions" apart from the motivation to please and glorify God and the power derived from an active reliance on Him? in selfishness, i think my actual theology as of late has been practical atheism, and that is frightening. does that mean i accept my "practical theology" to change my "state theology," or do i realize my humanity and ask for strength to get my practical theology to match my actual theology?
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?